Courses offered by Anna Barker include:
- Writing in plain English
- Getting published (with an emphasis on how to structure novels, develop character and self-edit for publication)
- Explaining research to the public: developing a public/media profile
- Writing for business (how to write effective executive summaries, reports and proposals)
- Academic writing for undergraduates, postgraduates and academic staff
- Writing for different audiences
Anna is unusual in her wide and deep experience of different writing styles. A published author, journalist, copywriter and communications specialist, Anna’s experience makes her ideal for facilitating tailored courses and workshops for a range of disciplines.
Following a successful career as an award-winning feature writer and investigative journalist, Anna published two novels. The Floating Island (Arrow, 2008) won a Betty Trask best debut award from the Society of Authors. Her second novel, Before I Knew Him (Arrow, 2009) was shortlisted for a Good Housekeeping Good Read award and drew upon the themes Anna had begun to explore in her first novel namely: love, sexuality, memory, trauma, obsession and betrayal.
Alongside her writing career, Anna has been a Fellow of the Royal Literary Fund (RLF) at Teesside University since 2011 where she has taught academic writing skills to hundreds of undergraduates and post-graduates.
It is her extensive experience of varying forms of communication and her experience as a published author which feeds into her work as a teaching and learning consultant. Her experience in public relations and as a copywriter is particularly useful for clients who are looking to improve their internal and external communications, whether to a business audience or to the public.